CWEMF is a non-profit, non-partisan organization whose mission is to increase the usefulness of models for analyzing California’s water & environment related problems.
CWEMF carries out this mission by:
- Providing a consensus-building atmosphere on water & environment issues;
- Maintaining a modeling clearinghouse that provides an open forum for the exchange, improvement, and pooling of models, modeling information, and professional resources;
- Assisting in mediating technical disputes involving physical, chemical, biological, and economic modeling;
- Conducting impartial peer reviews of models in order to document strengths and weaknesses, suggest improvements, and identify appropriate applications;
- Seeking input from California water stakeholders and decision makers about their modeling needs; and
- Providing educational opportunities through conferences and technical
CWEMF has approximately 320 individual members and nine organizational members. (of different membership size). In addition, approximately 100 different organizations are represented among the CWEMF membership. Activities of CWEMF are guided by a Steering Committee composed of five officers elected by the membership, and includes representatives from many governmental water organizations, universities, environmental organizations, private consultants, water user agencies, and the general public.